Complex LILO problem

- - - - -
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

bobo

bobo

• Grup: Members
Hi!

I have an AMD ATHLON XP 1700+ with 256SDRAM and Seagate Barracuda 40 GB HDD. My PriMaster is the Cd-Rom and the PriSlave is the HDD.
After i bought the computer, i installed Win98. After a few month i installed RadHat 7.2 from a Cd, on a partition of 3GB ( /dev/hdb5 and /dev/hdb2 swap) at the end of the harddisk!

Everything went fine...
I thought it's time to install Windows2000, but first i wanted to check if lilo works fine. Because i heared the win2000 will overwrite the Lilo, MBR, ...
I looked at the /etc/lilo.conf and the file was good generated. ( i checked the partitions with fdisk /dev/hdb ):

prompt
timeout=50
default=DOS
boot=/dev/hdb
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message=/bot/message
lba32

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
label=linux
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.7-10.img
root=/dev/hdb5

other=/dev/hdb1
optional
label=DOS

So, i gived the lilo command and the result was:
Warning: /dev/hdb is not on the first disk
Added linux
Added DOS

I gived the reboot command and after 'Boot record found on IDE-0' apears only the L letter.

How can i solve the problem?

Thanks for your answer!

horatzica

horatzica

I think your IDE-0 is your CDROM. Try to boot from IDE-1 (search your BIOS Setup for this one).
Good Luck!

bibicu

bibicu

• Grup: Senior Members
You either have to move cd-rom on the second ide, or to make cd-rom slave and hdd master. In either cases it will work as you want.

[mx]n0b0dy

[mx]n0b0dy

1st: Windows 2000/xp will never overwrite your MBR no matter what. If it does make changes, it will only modify your partition table to make it's partition active or to register a new partition created during setup, but it will not touch the MBR code (loader). This is not the case :( for 95/98/me. They will overwrite your MBR code before first restart during setup, doing a fdisk /mbr.
2nd: If you don't succed with LILO, try GRUB instead: http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

Anunturi

Bun venit pe Forumul Softpedia!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forumul Softpedia foloseste "cookies" pentru a imbunatati experienta utilizatorilor Accept
Pentru detalii si optiuni legate de cookies si datele personale, consultati Politica de utilizare cookies si Politica de confidentialitate