La mulți ani @Ciubex!

English Practice

- - - - -
  • Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

Rodeo

Rodeo

• Grup: Members
Well, I love English... I just saw some pictures taken by a squad car camera and then from a helli camera. A guy had taken hostage a woman and now was speeding on the freeway. When he was stopped the police freed the hostage and the felon was taken into custody. As the officers struggeld to handcuff him, the TV comentator sid that "...the law was laid down hard on him". As far as I could see from the fast movement of the officer's elbows the law realy was laid down a little bit harder than usual and by that I mean that it looked like cop baton harder.

Arty, I wait for your comments. Don't mind the spelling because I wrote in a hurry.

Mosotti

Mosotti

Geniu umil

• Grup: Senior Members

arunescu, on Jul 16 2005, 12:06, said:

traduceti asta:

"Azi fusesi la camp. In afara de puzderia de lacuste lacome ce se infruptau din bogata mea recolta nu vazui mai nimic. Un prichindel juca barbut de unul singur la umbra unui fag. Ma intorsei si dadui cu caciula de pamant de necaz. Fu--i mama ei de viata!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

se zice 'fusei' ;)

I went to check on my fields today. I saw nothing except for a bunch of greedy locusts eating my luxuriant crops. Some kid was playing dice with himself in the shadow of a beech. I turn my back and threw my baseball cap on the ground with anger. Fuck this shitty life!

active95

active95

Guru Member

Today I went to check on my land . Beside a bunch of greedy locusts which were eating my rich crops didn't see anything else. A kid was playing dice by himself while sitting in the shades of a beech tree. Came back (or Turned around <since i'm not sure if the d00d is coming back home or just turning around>) and threw the hat on the ground (AE)
I can't curse since maxy gave me a warning  :lol:
I guess is good to be the moderator isn't is mossoti :lol:

Edited by active95, 16 July 2005 - 20:36.

Mosotti

Mosotti

Geniu umil

being a moderator is the same beep only with more buttons. call me tuca show  :P

active95

active95

Guru Member

:roflmaofast:  :roflmaofast:  :roflmaofast:

maxy

maxy

• Grup: Banned
active95, you meant isn't it ?

Stars

Stars

Yeah, just as I expected. Everyone took the "statia de autobuz" text as a piece of cake.. Too easy! Arunescu even enquired what was the purpose of this thread even though it was quite obvious.. The best translation of all was (I expected that, too :) ) gtk's one. But all of them have flaws.
Arunescu quicky brought here a pretty difficult text thinking "whatta heck, I rock". Everyone knows English.. That's what I thought too, before entering the History-English group in college. But I changed my mind quicky...
If you really think you're THAT good, I can bring you texts from Creanga that are absolutely insane for a translator...But you can't handle it.

Mosotti

Mosotti

Geniu umil

no one can translate from creanga...

active95

active95

Guru Member

maxy, on Jul 16 2005, 21:57, said:

active95, you meant isn't it ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

U betcha :D

Stars

Stars

Stars, on Jul 15 2005, 19:01, said:

Ieri a trebuit sa vin pe jos pana acasa de la serviciu. Pana atunci eram obisnuit sa iau autobuzul din Obor, dar ieri, in mod surprinzator, nu a venit nimic, chiar daca am asteptat rabdator. Stateam in statie de o ora cand s-a apropiat cineva de mine si m-a intrebat daca vreau cumva sa iau autobuzul de acolo. De-abia atunci am aflat ca circulatia a fost deviata.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now, let's see the text. This is my variant: Yesterday I had to come home from my job by foot (accentueaza ideea de situatie particulara, walk merge si el, dar eu inclin spre "by foot"). Until then, I was used to taking (infinitiv dupa used to, cerut de frecventa actiunii in trecut) the bus from Obor, but yesterday, surprisingly, nothing came by, even though I waited paciently. I was standing in the bus-station for an hour when (nu then, care este gresit) someone approached me and asked wether I wanted to take the bus from there. Only then did I realize (asa se traduce "de-abia", pe care unii l-au sarit. si varianta lui gtk e buna, numai ca srica fraza cu "then", "that", "that" puse una langa alta) that the traffic (2 de"f", arunescu) had been re-routed (aici merg pe mana lui gtk :) ).

If you have better choices for the translations, feel free to tell them to us. If not, let's go on..

Mosotti

Mosotti

Geniu umil

even though not entirely accurate, I find arty's translation the best. it's so simple, so american  :P

Stars

Stars

Mosotti, on Jul 16 2005, 22:09, said:

even though not entirely accurate, I find arty's translation the best. it's so simple, so american  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hai sa nu luam AE ca etalon... BE este mai eleganta decat dialectul ala de ghetou. N-am nimic cu AE, dar o consider mult inferioara. Cat despre varianta lui arty, este intr-adevar inteligibila, dar nu stiu cine l-ar angaja pe arty ca translator cu stilul asta :)

Edited by Stars, 16 July 2005 - 22:21.

Lemmy

Lemmy

Mosotti, on Jul 16 2005, 22:46, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean John Branch?  :huh:

Stars

Stars

Mosotti, on Jul 16 2005, 21:46, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Creanga can be translated but that requires a solid vocabulary. You have to have notions of old English, so as to render the original text. There are indeed elements that cannot be translated, but that is the case for any other language.

Edited by Stars, 16 July 2005 - 22:26.

maxy

maxy

Deci Creangă ar fi un Shakespeare românesc...

Stars

Stars

maxy, on Jul 16 2005, 22:27, said:

Deci Creangă ar fi un Shakespeare românesc...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't believe that Creanga can be translated...Attend the English Language courses of a specialized college and you will see for yourself.

Lemmy

Lemmy

Little Nick of Steven of Peter ran to snatch cherries and then he was caught and then he went to take a bath in the river and then he ran naked thru the cucuruz.Later he found a hoopoe in a tree hollow (it was a linden tree) and the thought it was a snake, and he stoped to catch it and the forget to feed the spoonmen.In the end there was something about a house beeing pulled down and in the end he went to school I think, or something like that.

Edited by Lemmy, 16 July 2005 - 22:41.

maxy

maxy

Stars, on Jul 16 2005, 22:30, said:

You don't believe that Creanga can be translated...Attend the English Language courses of a specialized college and you will see for yourself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Trying to apply...   ;)

Anunturi

Bun venit pe Forumul Softpedia!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forumul Softpedia foloseste "cookies" pentru a imbunatati experienta utilizatorilor Accept
Pentru detalii si optiuni legate de cookies si datele personale, consultati Politica de utilizare cookies si Politica de confidentialitate